CBD for Hyperactive Dogs: A Natural Way to Calm Your Furry Friend
If you’re a dog owner, you know how much love, joy and fun they bring to your life. They’re always ready to play, explore, and go on adventures with you.
Though it is natural for them to be quite enthusiastic, it can sometimes reach a level that can make you question if they’re hyperactive.
Does your dog often get nervous, or overexcited, or anxious and just cannot sit still?
A hyperactive dog is constantly feeling similar to how we feel when we’ve had too much coffee. They’re constantly wired and jittery and overflowing with energy. Chasing squirrels, barking at everything, digging holes in your backyard and destroying everything in their path.
You might’ve tried a lot of things like training and exercise, but nothing seems to work and you’ve accepted that it is a lost cause to try to calm them down.
If that describes your dog and you want them to chill out and not be spinning and jumping around 24/7, there’s something you can try – CBD.
CBD is becoming the go-to for a lot of dog owners for its calming effects on dogs and their fur babies, and they’re really loving it.
How CBD works to calm anxious dogs
CBD has become the preferred choice for many dog owners to ease their four-legged friends’ overactivity, and they’re swearing by its effectiveness.
Dog owners are reporting many benefits for their furry friends and report that CBD:
- Reduced anxiety and stress levels anxious dogs – Eases excessive barking or destructive behavior hyper dogs.
- Improved sleep – A well-rested dog is a calmer dog.
- Enhanced focus and concentration – Help your dog stay attentive during training.
- Promotes a balanced mood and energy levels – Aids in easing symptoms of hyperactivity and makes your dog feel calmer.
- Keep your dog’s enthusiasm in check without compromising their playful nature.
- Eases physical discomfort and inflammation – A comfortable dog is more likely to be relaxed.
- Has none of the side effects which usually accompany traditional medications which are loaded with chemicals.
If you’re up for trying CBD to help your energetic pup live a more balanced and relaxed life, it’s vital to pick a high-quality CBD product for dogs. Look for natural ingredients, third-party lab testing, and a certificate of analysis (COAs) to ensure you’re getting the best CBD for your doggo.
What Is Hyperactivity in Dogs?
Hyperactive dogs have too much energy, can’t sit still, and have trouble paying attention. Genetics, lack of exercise, anxiety, or medical conditions can all lead to this behavior. Sometimes even separation anxiety in dogs can also give rise to hyperactivity.
Symptoms of hyperactivity in dogs may include:
- Your dog barks at everything and anything, even when there’s nothing.
- Your dog jumps on you, your guests, your furniture, and everything else.
- Your dog chews on everything in sight – your shoes, your clothes, books, and your couch.
- Your dog runs around the house knocking over things and making a mess.
- Your dog gets easily distracted, nervous, or overexcited by any small disruption like noise, a smell, or a sight.
- Your dog has trouble sleeping, settling down, or staying still no matter how much exercise you provide them.
- Your dog has difficulty learning new things or following commands.
- Your dog often shows anxiety, aggression, or impulsiveness.
Addressing hyperactivity in dogs requires a comprehensive approach, often including proper exercise, training, and sometimes medical intervention.
One potential natural solution for managing hyperactivity in dogs is the use of CBD products.
The Endocannabinoid System and CBD
Do Dogs Have An Endocannabinoid System?
Yes, the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is found throughout your dog’s body including the nervous system, immune system, endocrine system and even on their skin.
It plays a vital role in regulating natural functions like mood, sleep, appetite, immune response, and pain management.
The ECS consists of three main parts – endocannabinoids, receptors, and enzymes that work together to maintain balance and overall well-being in the body.
Cannabidiol (CBD) and Its Interaction with the ECS
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive compound found in the cannabis plant. THC is the compound in cannabis that produces the high, whereas CBD is a different compound that does not have this effect.
Cannabidiol interacts with the ECS, and affects loads of bodily processes, by shifting endocannabinoids and bringing the whole body to equilibrium.
Which is The Best CBD Oil For Dogs?
CBD could be beneficial for easing the symptoms of discomfort, inflammation, anxiety, and more in dogs.
There’s a range of different CBD products, like full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum, or CBD isolate.
The extract you use can affect the compounds in the CBD oil, which can determine its effectiveness and safety.
Full-spectrum CBD oil for dogs is the best because it has all the helpful compounds from the cannabis plant.
Not only do you get CBD, but also THC and other cannabinoids, terpenes which give hemp its aroma and flavor, and flavonoids which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
These compounds work together to create an entourage effect, which is the idea that the compounds work better when they combine forces.
Studies have suggested that CBD and THC may work better together than by themselves for pain relief.
Full-spectrum CBD oil contains just a tad of THC. However, the amount of THC in full-spectrum CBD oil is very low (less than 0.3 percent), and it is not enough to cause any intoxication or harm to your dog.
Research hints that combining THC and CBD may boost the benefits and lessen the drawbacks.
Full-spectrum CBD is tops for dogs ’cause it’s the most natural form of cannabidiol. It offers all the benefits for your dog with no cons.
Using CBD for Hyperactive Dogs: Potential Benefits
Considering the research and success stories, CBD may offer various benefits for hyperactive dogs. These benefits may include:
- Reducing inflammation – If your dog has swollen joints, red skin, or digestive issues, they might have inflammation which can make them feel stiff, itchy, and uncomfortable. CBD oil can help calm down the inflammation and make your dog feel more at ease.
- Easing pain – If your doggo’s in pain, they might be whining, dragging their feet, or just not wanting to move. This can really drag down their quality of life and mood. CBD oil can help take away their discomfort and make them happier.
- Lowering anxiety – If your doggo gets overwhelmed by loud noises, meeting new people, or being on their own, they could bark a lot, chew up furniture, or hide under the bed. CBD oil can settle their nerves and help them be more calm and comfortable.
Precautions and Potential Risks of CBD for Hyperactive Dogs
While CBD offers numerous benefits for hyperactive dogs, it may have some side effects in rare situations. Possible side effects of CBD for hyperactive dogs might include:
- Drowsiness or lethargy
- Dry mouth or increased thirst
- Diarrhea or changes in appetite
- Interactions with other medications your dog may be taking
Choosing the Right CBD Product for Your Anxious Dog
To keep your hyperactive pup safe and get the best out of CBD, it’s essential to find a top-notch CBD product. Here are some tips for selecting the right product:
- Try to find CBD products that are specific to dogs, since they can have different CBD concentrations and ingredients than those meant for humans.
- Choose a reliable brand that has third-party lab test results, confirming the product’s potency, purity, and the lack of hazardous contaminants.
- Select products with zero added artificial ingredients, flavors, or preservatives, as these can be harmful to some dogs.
Consult your veterinarian before starting CBD for your hyperactive dog if your pet is on any medications or has existing medical conditions.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
If you use a high-quality, pet-specific CBD product and follow the dosage guidelines, CBD is very safe for doggos. Watch your dog closely for any signs of problems and don’t forget to check with a vet before giving them CBD, especially if they have other health issues or are taking any medications.
How long does it take for CBD to work in dogs?
The time it takes for CBD to work in dogs can vary depending on factors such as dosage, the dog’s size, metabolism, and the specific issue being addressed. For more information, check the recommended dosing time on our CBD Oil for dogs page.
Can CBD Make My Dog More Anxious?
No, CBD oil cannot make your dog more anxious. CBD enhances your dog’s overall well-being and calms them down.
How often should I give CBD to my hyperactive dog?
CBD is commonly administered once or twice daily for optimal results. As always, consult with your veterinarian if you notice any side effects in your pup.